Probate happens after someone dies. Usually, you cannot access their accounts or sell property until you open a probate case.
Usually a Last Will and Testament will direct where the person’s assets go. Even without a Last Will, you will need to go through probate.
If you are trying to gain access to a person’s assets (after death), schedule a strategy session now to explore your options with an attorney!
– If your loved one died and signed a living trust, you most likely do not need to go through a formal probate procedure to unfreeze his or her assets.
– Instead, the process to move assets to the beneficiaries is called Trust Administration.
– This process requires that the Trustee perform certain duties under law.
– This process is usually much shorter and cheaper than probate.
– If you are a trustee of a trust of someone who recently passed away, schedule a strategy session now to explore your duties and obligations with an attorney today!